Afriend of Ulster Weavers, Jessica Cunningham (@peoniesandpoodles) has created an easy recipe for Traditional Irish Wheaten Bread using our RHS Spring Floral and Oriental Birds Collections. This delicious and moist loaf is perfect for pairing with a warming Vegetable Soup or even a refreshing Goats Cheese Salad!
Jessica uses our kitchen textiles regularly while cooking and baking - she particularly enjoys using our new Micro-mitts, as they are small and light, making them super convenient.
You will need:
2 large mixing bowls, a sift, a measuring jug, a teaspoon, a wooden spoon, a whisk, a bread tin, grease proof paper, micro-mitts/oven gloves and an oven.
250g Wholemeal Flour
200g Plain White Flour
1 Teaspoon Baking Soda Powder
1 Teaspoon Salt
1 Tablespoon Brown Sugar
2 Tablespoons Butter
1 Teaspoon maple syrup
1 Tablespoon seeds or porridge oats (Optional)
Method: How to make Irish Wheaten Bread
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees centigrade (fan).
2. In a large mixing bowl, add the wholemeal flour, plain flour, baking soda, and salt, then mix these together.
3. In a separate bowl, add the buttermilk, brown sugar, butter, maple syrup and one egg. Whisk together until smooth.
4. Gradually pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture, then use a wooden spoon to combine together. The mixture should be quite thick.
5. Line a bread/loaf tin with greaseproof paper, and then slowly pour the batter in and smooth until evened out.
6. Sprinkle some seeds or porridge oats over the top and bake for 45-50 minutes or until brown. (Tip! If you can insert a fork into the loaf and it comes out clean, it is ready!)
7. Remove the loaf from the oven using a pair of Ulster Weavers Double Oven Gloves, and leave to cool on a cooling rack.
8. Cut a slice, slather your Traditional Irish Wheaten Bread in butter and enjoy! :) Mary Berry eat your heart out.
We are delighted that Jessica and her furry friends shared this scrumptious wheaten bread recipe with us! If you would like to see more from her, you can visit her Instagram page HERE.
Ulster Weavers Ltd is a home textiles company based in Northern Ireland. Relying on 141 years of knowledge in textile production, Ulster Weavers prides itself on producing high quality products alongside excellent customer service.
Every product is developed by our in house design team to meet the demands of a 21st century market.
Production takes place in various sites throughout the world, including here in Northern Ireland, before undergoing strict testing procedures to uphold the quality of the end product to the highest standard. With an extensive homeware range containing an array of design and colour there is sure to be something to suit every customer. Products available are from our traditional textiles to range extension in melamine, paper and ceramic. Today, the company remains a family business with a worldwide reach.
Shop our full collection of locally designed products via the link below!
More from us...
Did you enjoy this recipe for Traditional Irish Wheaten Bread?
Check out our other easy-to-make recipes below!
Great British Bake Off's Val Stones' Lemon and Poppy Seed Madeira Cake
Lemon and Lavender Wildflower Cupcakes The Perfect Summer Treat