An Ulster Weavers ambassador, Lily Lester (@lilsbloomsandbakes) has created a delicious recipe for fluffy lemon and lavender fairy cakes, inspired by our Wildflowers Collection. These adorable cupcakes make the perfect treat for an afternoon tea with the girls, a friend's barbeque or even a baby shower!
Lily uses our kitchen textiles regularly while baking - she particularly enjoys using our 100% Cotton Tea Towels when displaying her delicious bakes.
You will need:
2 large mixing bowls, a sift, an electric mixer, an oven, a teaspoon, a spatula/wooden spoon, a grater, a muffin tin/baking tray, bun cases and a piping bag (Lily used a Wilton 12 inch bag with a 1m nozzle).
1 teaspoon of baking powder
210g plain flour
114g unsalted butter
150g caster sugar
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1 teaspoon of lavender extract
1 teaspoon of fresh/dried lavender
Zest of one lemon
Edible flowers for decoration
Premade vanilla buttercream icing (or make your own)
½ teaspoon of yellow food colouring
½ teaspoon of purple food colouring
1. Preheat the oven to 160 degrees centigrade (fan).
2. In a large mixing bowl, add the unsalted butter and whisk with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy (You may want to take this out of the fridge an hour before baking so the butter has time to soften).
3. Add the caster sugar to the butter and beat together until well combined. The mixture should have a smooth consistency at this point.
4. Next, crack two eggs and add them into the mixture. Followed by one teaspoon of vanilla extract and one teaspoon of lavender extract. Combine into a smooth mixture.
5. In a separate mixing bowl, combine the plain flour and baking powder. After this use a sift to add half of the plain flour and baking powder mixture into the batter.
6. Use an electric mixer to combine into a thick cake batter and then add all of the milk (125ml) and mix.
7. Once the milk is no longer clearly visible, sift in the remainder of the flour and baking powder and mix until the batter is completely smooth.
8. It is now time to add in the fresh or dried lavender and the zest of a lemon. Add to taste and use a spatula to gently fold the ingredients into the cake batter.
9. Spoon the mixture equally into the cupcake or bun cases and place in the oven for 16 minutes.
10.Whilst the cupcakes are baking, separate the vanilla buttercream into two seperate bowls and mix each with the yellow and purple food colouring.
11. Use our Wildflower Double Oven Gloves to remove the cupcakes from the oven and leave to cool.
12. Add half of each colour into one piping bag, and enjoy decorating your delicious Wildflower cupcakes with icing and edible flowers!
We are delighted that Lily shared this scrumptious recipe with us! If you would like to see more from her, you can visit her Instagram page HERE.
Ulster Weavers Ltd is a home textiles company based in Northern Ireland. Relying on 141 years of knowledge in textile production, Ulster Weavers prides itself on producing high quality products alongside excellent customer service.
Every product is developed by our in house design team to meet the demands of a 21st century market.
Production takes place in various sites throughout the world, including here in Northern Ireland, before undergoing strict testing procedures to uphold the quality of the end product to the highest standard. With an extensive homeware range containing an array of design and colour there is sure to be something to suit every customer. Products available are from our traditional textiles to range extension in melamine, paper and ceramic. Today, the company remains a family business with a worldwide reach.
Shop our full collection of locally designed products via the link below!